Monday, November 7, 2011

Defeat is not an option

"There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something tomorrow."  -- O. S. Marden


'DON'T QUIT'
Photo from JonathanFosteronline.com
These two words, when used in sequence, are quite powerful.  The last few weeks I have been working for a health food company.  I've encountered so many new and interesting people as I have touted  products around the Chicago land area.  Most of what folks have shared with me is forgettable, but there has been one comment I've received that struck a (very loud) chord in me.  This 6 foot something, middle aged man began chatting with me about eating healthy.  He said, "It's easy to be unhealthy, it's damn hard to be healthy".  He then slipped back into the crowd of shoppers and left me with this thought: don't quit.

I joined a gym 8 months ago, befriended a nutritionist and the results have been incredibly positive.  I have more energy, I sleep better at night, I'm happier with my image, I've gone down in weight and body fat, I ran a 5K and I continue to do better (because I know better...remember my mantra?).  

But if you're thinking it must have been easy, think again.  I have a superb support system, which I have vented to on numerous occasions.  My body ached as I strengthened it, my joints took a beating and when my scale didn't tip in the downward direction my peeps got an ear full.  I cried at times thinking 'this is too hard'.  Indeed, it is hard work to be healthy.  It would be so much simpler to just give up.  But I kept on my path, stumbled off course a few times, and now I can look back and realize it was just apart of my journey.  The easy thing to do would be to quit, but only I would lose in this situation.

I am a proud, card carrying member of the 'No Deception Club'.  Currently, I am the only member but I'm always open to new members!  I had to stop lying to myself! That's the only thing that works.  "I've had a hard day"..."I'm tired"... "It's the weekend so I can cheat"... or my usual get out of jail free card..."Aunt Flo is visiting so it's ok to eat everything in the fridge and then proceed to the contents of the freezer."  Who the hek am I kidding?  These exact excuses got me in the maternity yoga pants.  I am the only person I can blame if I don't like what I see.


What truly breaks my heart, people who give up on themselves.  It is hard, true, but when a person honestly believes they don't deserve a better way of life...fail!  Strap on the big boy/girl pants and get cracking.  It's only your life.  If that isn't enough reason then smack my butt and call me Sally!

 Into everyone's life, challenges will (surely) fall.  We all have that little voice inside of our head that encourages us to quit.  "Get the hell out of dodge and find another way to shake your booty" is the usual thought that pops into my head when I'm running/spinning/lifting weights, etc.  I want out just as much as the next person...but I don't quit.  

Mentally, I compete with myself.  Whatever my previous mile time was, or pounds I was lifting, whatever...I challenge myself to go farther or lift more.  I do more squats!  I kick higher!  I position myself in front of the instructor!  I run longer!  ANYTHING that gets me to kick my own butt!  If I feel the burn, I know I'm doing it right.  I won't let a little thing called a 'challenge' stand in my way of being healthy.

It's 11pm now and I'm ready to face tomorrow and hit the gym first thing!  I know I'll have my coffee and breakfast and I'll be off...I can't wait!

No comments: