Thursday, January 19, 2012

Make it about the veggies!

Meals do not have to be centered around meat every night.  Even if you are not a vegetarian, you can go a few days without it!  Trust me.  In the Mayo Clinic Diet Book the authors suggest basing your meals around the veggies instead of the meat.  Most of the portion sizes for the meat part of dinner, is large enough (in some countries) to feed a family of four!!  Here in the US, where portions are gigantic, we tend to gobble up the meat (and potatoes) first and then semi-pick at the veggies.

Here's a habit to try incorporating...eat your veggies first and then the meat.  What will happen naturally... the veggies will automatically provide enough fiber and other good micro-nutrients in your stomach so that the meat, which is secondary, will not be consumed in its' entirety.  If you're still worried about the 'starving children' somewhere in the world and insist on not throwing anything out...take it home.  If it's still appetizing the next day, go ahead.  At least you are beginning to re-train your brain and fill up on the good stuff instead of the meat.

Here's a shot of my usual breakfast/lunch-
It consists of: blueberries (very high in antioxidants), black berries, unsweetened coconut milk, water, fresh mint, kale (my personal fav), celery, swiss chard and hemp seeds.  I hit blend and VOILA!  My tummy is so filled up with all of these awesome nutrients that I do not crave non-nutrient food.  It's a win/win!

Here's a shot of dinner-
This is prior to roasting them. I put them
to roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
I flip them then I put them back in for
another 20-25 minutes.
Roasted vegetables are so delicious!  Here I cut up brussel sprouts, onion, red and green peppers, yukon gold potatoes and mixed in some olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper.  It's so easy to make and it will leave your family happy and full.  The onions and peppers, when roasted, become very sweet tasting.  I could go on and on about how yummy this is, but I'll let you see for yourself.

With vegetables, you do not have to worry about counting calories/carbs/fat/protein.  Those are what Dr. Fuhrman describes as the macro-nutrients.  The micro-nutrients are vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals which are all calorie free and super amazing for our bodies!!  I've skipped the meat and I piled on the micro nutrients that our bodies need in order to live longer, healthier lives.  Bon appetite!!

--Dr. Fuhrman is the author of Eat for Health.  I'm currently reading his first book.  I welcome and comments by fellow readers and addicts of his method of eating!


         

No comments: