Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Gettin' back on the horse!



Oh dear Lord...I ate like an idiot over the weekend.  It's fun going down, but now I have my work cut out for me for the week.  I had my strength training class this morning and three Pilates classes scheduled for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  I'm also sneaking in a yoga class somewhere in there.  It's hard draggin' my behind to class, but once I'm there...it's all good.

So for tonight's (back to reality) dinner here's what I'm going to cook up for my savvy foodies:

Turkey Vegetable Meatloaf - from Dr. Fuhrman's 'Eat for Health'
2 lbs. ground turkey
1 cup quick oats (not instant)
1- ounces frozen organic chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 large carrot, grated
http://www.drfuhrman.com/
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 eggs
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
6 tablespoons ketchup, low sodium
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (he says vegan can be purchased at health food stores)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon Dijion mustard
1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 14 ounce can chopped tomatoes, no salt added, drained
1 tablespoon ketchup (low sodium)

Directions-
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix ground turkey and oats together.  Add remaining ingredients except for half of the tomatoes and ketchup.  Mix well to combine.
Shape into loaf and place in a large loaf pan.
Top with remaining tomatoes mixed with 1 tablespoon ketchup
Bake for an hour and 15 minutes until meat is cooked through.

One serving contains:
CALORIES 320
PROTEIN 28.6g
CARBOHYDRATE 25.8g
FAT 12.4g
SODIUM 229.8mg

I'll let you know what the fam thinks tomorrow...off to the store!


3 comments:

Barbara said...

It was great!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

The fam really liked the turkey meatloaf! Here's a few of the comments....
-for a healthier meatloaf, this is great

-maybe use regular ketchup instead of organic, no salt

-not sweet whatsoever

-substituting ground turkey in lieu of beef left us feeling light after dinner. No heaviness in our stomachs afterwards

As for me...I had one slice and it kept me full for the entire night. I didn't serve it with any side dishes and with all the veggies in the meatloaf I didn't need to. Next time I'd like to add chopped carrots, instead of grated, and I also thought about adding a sweet potato puree!