Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Picky, picky

Happy Summer!!  As we shed our winter layers, some of us may be a little shocked to see there's more of us to love than we thought.  It's hot outside and we will want to keep as cool as cucumbers this season.  What this means is our thighs/arms/tummies/legs will surely want to get out in the sun, be it in the form of a swim suit, shorts and t-shirts or tanks.  Most of us have areas we'd rather not reveal and secretly beat ourselves up for not getting toned up in time.  There's still hope!  
This is the first summer, since I was a kid, I've worn shorts without hesitation.  I used to HATE the way my legs looked and thought shorts were as flattering as a burlap sack.  My upper arms were not toned, either, and therefore I was a huge fan of 3/4 length sleeves.  While I'm not tooting my horn and suggesting I look perfect, I can safely tell you I look a whole lot better than I did last summer.

Wanna know my secret?  I'm picky!!  I am a savvy foodie and when it comes to Summer fare, or any seasonal dish, I pick what I want and pass on what I can do without.  Right now I'll bet your calendars are getting loaded up with graduation partites, weddings, barbeque's and just any excuse to be out with friends and EAT (what else?!).  It's ironic, we're supposed to take off the layers just as we really pack on the calories.  But you don't have to.  
Lets take a typical American Summer fav - cheeseburgers and french fries.  You can eat it, but just pick the meat and skip the potatoes.  Don't eat the bun and maybe go without the cheese.  If there's beer on tap and you want to indulge, realize you're having some serious calories with your meal and maybe just grab one cold one and pace yourself.  Enjoy your food, with time.  There's no race happening, so enjoy your food and chances are if you don't wolf it down...your brain will catch up with your stomach and you'll be full before you know it and therefore eat fewer calories.

Now if you don't dine on swine (or other fatty meat options) be careful if carbs are your thing.  Just say to yourself, as you saddle up to the buffet line, "What do I really want and what can I skip?"  At first this may seem hard to do, but try it a few times and it'll become second nature to 'ya!



Another tip - education!  There's a great app called 'My Fitness Pal'.  It's also a website which I've included here.  Fitness Pal Nutrition facts page  They offer a nutrition fact page and if you only knew how many calories were in a beer (for example) you may think twice before throwing them back.  Or if you knew how offensive those pesky french fries can be, you may only grab one or two, at most.  Just arm yourself with education and watch how it transforms your waistline.  

Be picky and see what happens!!!  

No comments: