Monday, October 17, 2011

One life




This song by James Morrison really got me thinking.  We only have one life.  It's such a simple idea but yet many of us take it for granted.  We excuse our bad choices.  We justify procrastination.  We think 'tomorrow is another day'.  We only have this one life.  

I've heard all the cliche sayings: "Live like you're dying", "Live without regret", "Do what makes you happy" and things like "If I could only know what I do now, I'd go back to kick my younger self in the butt."  These so-called 'motivational' sayings are usual heard out of the mouths of people who have been struck with multiple struggles.  It's usually something that hits us after we face an obstacle.  We grow stronger, change our ways and perhaps we get on a savvier path.  But for so many folks, if something scares them they'll change temporarily and then slip into their old ways.  It's human nature.  

Until we actually alter our habits and believe we can do better, this is when true change happens.  If we do it for an non-organic reason, we're wasting our efforts.  We have to believe in ourselves.  It's not easy.  Easy is sitting on a couch and steering clear of challenges.  

I'm so touched when I see people prioritize their health and sincerely want better for their one life.  These folks are inspirational.  Challenges can be beautiful.  Pain is a feeling we cannot be afraid of.  It's never too late to change ourselves and make our one life even better.  Live it right!

No comments: