Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Savvy Foodie

Hi there!  Are you one of the thousands of people who are fed up with diets?  If you're anything like me, as soon as the word 'diet' is uttered, I shut down.  'Diet' is an OVERUSED word.  You turn on the tv and someone is telling you they have the secret to slimming down.  The morning news will inevitably run a segment on weight loss.  You see the magazine covers at the grocery store, while you're in line with your bag of Oreos, and think to yourself "Yeah right!".  You see people running outside and think, "Who in the world would want to do that?  Pass me a cookie!"

I've spent the last 10 years of my life creeping into larger pant sizes and justifying it by saying, "Oh well it was bound to happen.  After all I'm not 22 anymore.  Pass me a cookie!".  I nearly lost my grip on reality after I had accidentally purchased a pair of maternity pants (from Target) and they were the only non-binding pants I owned.  I had an AHA moment when I was parked in the lot on a mission to buy another pair.  It finally hit me....WHAT WAS I DOING?  I had read books, seen the morning news shows, complained with my gal pals and had so many failed attempts that finally I just couldn't excuse myself anymore!!!

Maya Angelou said it best, "When you know better, you do better".  Well guys and gals, I'm not an expert but I can say, with confidence, I know better.  Now I'm trying to do better.  Join me as I go from a maternity pant wearing foodie, to a healthy savvy foodie!  It'll be loads of fun!  I'll be discussing successful meal ideas, talk about pit falls, be honest about food choices, highlight success stories and everything else under the sun.  This is not about weight loss.  My journey is about making savvy food choices and living a longer and healthier life.  As an added bonus, my pant size is slowly shrinking.  But more importantly, I am living healthier.  

It's not easy out there.  Temptations are all around us.  I always wonder if grocery store clerks ever want to ask, "You're not really going to eat that are you?", as they scan the frozen Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese across their checkout scanner.  No one is going to tell you YOU CANNOT EAT THAT.  Hence the definition of being a savvy foodie.  You know better, so you won't want to eat it.  This is not a subtraction plan, this is a healthy lifestyle goal.  

So lets hold hands and do better, together!!!

No comments: